Sunday, January 16, 2011

God. Is. Love.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

After much persuasion, Father Shawn, convinced me that it would be healthy to at least blog on Sunday's. I dedicate my next few Sunday blogs to him! Father, you may be the only one reading them... :)

So... this past week was full of study, writing, classes and a few outings.

The highlights of the week were first returning to Roma, resuming classes at the Angelicum, and seeing many of my friends.

Highlight #2: I finished this fantastic book!


One of the many beautiful quotes within the text: "God's work is accomplished not by efficiency and talents but by holiness, and their is no holiness without joyful acknowledgment that without God we can do nothing."

Highlight #3:

After class on Monday, I gave myself permission to go see the Vincent van Gogh exhibit that is currently in the center of Rome, Piazza Venezia, behind the Vittorio Emanuele Monument. Since my mother is an artist, my sister and I were raised around lots of art and I remember from a very young age, my mom, teaching us about different artists, particularly, Claude Monet and Van Gogh, the different types of mediums, architecture and how to express one's self through art and how to be creative. So, needless to say it was very special and moving for me to see many works of Van Gogh, specifically, three of his self-portraits and his famous painting of cypress with two female figures.




















Highlight #4:

After five years (seriously!) of trying to get a volunteer position with Caritas Internationalis, I started my first day of working with the beautiful organization on Friday at the Rome Secretariat. I am thrilled to have this opportunity, excited to learn, and I have much enthusiasm to see where this position leads me and how it will give me the guidance to help and assist the most vulnerable.

"Make your life something beautiful for God."
-Blessed Teresa of Calcutta, pray for us!


Highlight #5:

I was asked to be a bridesmaid in the wedding of my dear friend's John Paul and Natalie. Their wedding will be on July 2nd in the Eternal City. Also, today, I attended their betrothal which was in the Byzantine Rite at their parish, Trinita.


Trinita


John Paul and Natalie during their betrothal at Trinita
with Father Athanasius celebrating and Chris serving.


Celebrating with Natalie, the bride to be (in the center), Anna and others with Prosecco
in the Sacristy after the betrothal! That would never happen in the United States.


With friends after Mass and John and Nat's betrothal.

My dance partner in the streets of Rome!

Rome was just glowing with warmth and sunlight today. It felt like late spring!

Highlight #6: Hearing the news that His Holiness Pope John Paul II, the 264th pope in the history of the Roman Catholic Church, will be beatified in Rome on May 1, 2011, Divine Mercy Sunday with Pope Benedict XVI presiding over the beatification rite! Words can not express the joy that came to my heart when hearing this news!





Jesus, we trust in you!



Highlight #7:
Preparation is underway for me to spend time in Uganda with my friend's Laura and Nicole over the summer!!! Hoping we can make it happen!




That's all for now, folks! I will do my best to write next Sunday. Many things happening this week too. I continue to hold all of you in my thoughts and prayers. Please remember me too!

Love! Joy! Grace!

Amanda

No comments:

Post a Comment