Wednesday, October 20, 2010

2010-2011 Anno Accademico

+M

Though, I still had much grieving and mourning to do, I still knew I had to return back to Rome, after the unexpected death of my dear grandmother. The funeral was so grace-filled and it truly was a beautiful witness to her holy life as a woman of God, who was nothing but selfless and loving in her words and actions to her family and friends. I look forward to being able to reflect more on her life, the relationship she and I shared and on the week I had at home with my family in these next days, weeks and I am sure years.

I have now been back in the Eternal City for four days. After a long trip from Columbus to JFK, JFK to Madrid and Madrid to Rome, I returned safely. Thanks be to God! I started my second year in the Canon Law program at the Pontifical University of St. Thomas Aquinas, also, known as the Angelicum, on Monday.









Here are the courses I am taking this semester (Translated from the Italian text):

The Particular Churches - Part One: Cann. 368-430: Value for the universal Church and particular Churches. The particular Churches: the constituent elements. The bishops in general;The diocesan bishop: appointment, powers, duties and rights.

Institutes of Consecrated Life and S.V.A.: Cann. 573-730, 731-746: Rules common to all institutes of consecrated life. The nature of the consecrated life. Constitution institutions and their autonomy. Dependence of the ecclesiastical hierarchy. Religious institutes. Religious houses: erection and removal. The government institutions. Admission of candidates and training of members. All rights and obligations of institutions and their members. The apostolate of the institution. Separation of the members of the institute. Secular Institutes. Societies of Apostolic Life.

The function of sanctifying: Part One: Baptism Confirmation, Eucharist: Cann. 834-958The Sacraments of Christian Initiation: Baptism - Confirmation - Eucharist.

Marriage - Part One: Cann. 1055-1094: The essential structure of marriage as a natural institution and sacrament; as a legal transaction with its peculiar properties and purpose. Pastoral care and acts as prep. to the marriage. The impediments to marriage.

Forensic Canonical: The forensic medicine: background, content, methods, application areas. The survey-psichiatrica; aspects of psychopathological symptomatology. The intellectual function: delay and deteriorationtion of mind. Abnormalities psychic personality disorders. Mental abnormalities: the interference proceedings. The critical and strong-willed. The ability to report. Identity and Eastern sexual exploitation. Sexual capacity, and coeundi generandi. The contribution of expert psycho-sexologist in the canonical process.

And… Latin II! J

On Tuesday, October 19th, my community and I participated in the Solemnity of Saint Paul of the Cross, the founder of the Passionist Order (fun fact- I actually live on the fifth floor of the Passionist monastery!). The Solemn Eucharistic Celebration took place in the Basilica of Saints John and Paul (or, in Italian Santi Giovanni e Paolo), located behind the monastery.



Above: Inside the Basilica of Saints John and Paul.

Left: A few of the Passionists after the Mass.








Tonight, Wednesday, October 20th, our community had our second community evening. Our guest priest was Rev. Bob Guessetto, OSA; he celebrated Holy Mass and then joined us for dinner, where after he presented to the group on “Spiritual Direction: Companions on a Journey.”

Here is a quote Father shared with us that I would like to share with you:

"Great art thou, O Lord, and greatly to be praised; great is thy power, and infinite is thy wisdom."[6] And man desires to praise thee, for he is a part of thy creation; he bears his mortality about with him and carries the evidence of his sin and the proof that thou dost resist the proud. Still he desires to praise thee, this man who is only a small part of thy creation. Thou hast prompted him, that he should delight to praise thee, for thou hast made us for thyself and restless is our heart until it comes to rest in thee. Grant me, O Lord, to know and understand whether first to invoke thee or to praise thee; whether first to know thee or call upon thee. But who can invoke thee, knowing thee not? For he who knows thee not may invoke thee as another than thou art. It may be that we should invoke thee in order that we may come to know thee. But "how shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? Or how shall they believe without a preacher?"[7] Now, "they shall praise the Lord who seek him,"[8] for "those who seek shall find him,"[9] and, finding him, shall praise him. I will seek thee, O Lord, and call upon thee. I call upon thee, O Lord, in my faith which thou hast given me, which thou hast inspired in me through the humanity of thy Son, and through the ministry of thy preacher.[10]

St. Augustine, Paragraph I, Confessions

Buona notte, tutti! Classes early in the morning and then a weekend full of studying begins per me around noontide domani.

Pax!

1 comment: